A comprehensive historical report was completed in 2011 by renown historical consultant Robert Hefner. This report lays the guide lines by which the station will be returned back to its 1902 glory. Very generous donors have commited funds and resources to complete the exterior renovations and continue the restoration of the interior. We are please to announce that our restration efforts are now nearing complete.
We are accepting donations for our future educational programs, exhibits and our artifacts aquisition programs.
Please contact us if you are interested in participating in any way to the historical renovation of this East Coast landmark.
We are always accepting donations of artifacts and photos from the U.S. Life-Saving era and
also the early Coast Guard from the East End. Please contact us to discuss further.
The Amagansett Life-Saving and Coast Guard Society
1902 Amagansett U.S. Life-Saving Station
“You have to go out but you don’t have to come back.” This was the motto of the United States Life-Savings Service, a forerunner of today’s United States Coast Guard. In 1878 the U.S. Congress initiated the Service to protect maritime commerce along this country’s coasts, the lives of the shipboard sailors, passengers and cargoes. One of a string of thirty-one Life-Savings Stations along the south shore of Long Island – each five miles apart, the Amagansett Life-Savings Station, like the others, was staffed by a boatswain and crew drawn from the community. For more than sixty years the crew of this station daily drilled and maintained equipment, kept watch and patrolled at night, engaged in shipwreck rescues, and in June, 1942, intercepted a Nazi sabotage operation.
This Life-Saving Station was constructed in 1902, replacing an earlier one from 1880-81. It is of the ‘Quonochontaug’ type, designed by George Russell Tolman, L.S.S. architect from 1891 to 1896, and named for his prototype built in 1892 at Quonochontaug, near Charlestown, R.I. The cohesion of interior function and exterior appearance in Tolman’s Quonochontaug design distinguished the building architecturally, creating significantly to the identity of a new typology – a US. Life-Saving Station. Twenty-one of this type, from Massachusetts to Florida, were constructed through 1908.
When the U.S. Coast Guard deemed this Station redundant in 1964, the land passed to the Town of East Hampton but the Coast Guard put the Station up for auction. Won by a local resident Joel Carmichael in 1966, it was moved to Bluff Road, adapted as a residence, and most likely saved from demolition. In 2007 Mr. Carmichael’s heirs gifted the building back to the Town and moved it once again, back to this, its original site. A group of local residents founded the Amagansett Life-Saving & Coast Guard Station Society and began the six-year restoration of the Station to its original 1902 design, an undertaking guided by the comprehensive Historic Structures Report commissioned from Preservation Officer Robert Hefner.
The extraordinary support the Society received from the community during this restoration included donations of materials, skilled labor, and financial assistance. It is due to this response that the careful restoration of the 1902 Amagansett Life-Saving Station was accomplished.
"Twice moved, it has come back."
David Lys, President A.L.S. &C.G.S.